Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Deep Summer

 The weather has continued to be warm and dry. There have been a few thunder storms, but I am pretty well limited to dressing in summer dresses. This is not usual in the Fraser Valley where we have cardigans to match our capris.
Saturday was jam packed (the whole weekend was!) with a wedding shower for my nephew's fiance at Cultus Lake. They did a wonderful job of decorating and welcoming us.
 Edible shoes. That says it all!
 Here is Emily with another nephew's wife and the bride-to-be. We have had 3 of nine weddings so far. It is exciting to see the big boys find their lovely brides and start their adult lives.
 It was also the Fair. We have a Chilliwack Common Threads table with flyers to join us on Tuesdays and the kick off for our Christmas knitting charity. This year they decided we want to knit hats for the Salvation Army Christmas Dinner. We hope to collect 120 hats for the homeless.
We also had our Fair Share class of baby layettes that go to the hospital.
 Our knitted vegetables were a hit! The knitters were friendly and I can't thank them enough for volunteering and making our table a great place to knit with signs that said "Please touch the knitting". My mom is the convener of the home arts building with the quilts and jams and baking, so I try to support her. And my daughter tries to support us both.

 My scarecrow got an honourable mention. It was fun to make and was a good display for our table.

 There were real vegetables too.
 And award winning pies!
The barn was so noisy and crowded that it got a bit harried at times. When we packed up, D took me out to dinner with friends and then I worked yesterday. I feel like I have been away on a long trip. But these are the events that make us feel like we're living our summer.
 We had a blessed rain on Sunday morning. It didn't last long, but it was so refreshing. I am working this week and appreciate the cooler temperatures at Hospice where we don't have air conditioning.

 Last weekend we went to the ranch near Kamloops. The active sky and thunderstorms were the best light show.
 Julie took me for a splendid ride. It was the first time I rode her young gelding, Vinnie, and he was a perfect gentleman. I think he's already sold to some lucky cowgirl.
 She has the most delightful grandson, my great nephew, who is usually seen laughing and cooing.
And, as expected, I am on the cutting edge of knitting. While working on the front of my linen Miminalist cardigan, I admired the lovely 2x1 ribbing. Hey, wait. I don't remember that on the back. Nope. The first sleeve had it, and then I was too cocky to read the pattern because I thought it too simple. Whoops.
I cut it and knit it down. Right away. I didn't want to spend any more time whinging about how I'd made such a simple mistake. Now I have to decide if I will cut the sleeve, or just frog it and reknit it.
I knit on a fair isle sweater for los ninos in Mexico during the fair. Just finished the grey Tunisian crochet shawl that I started in February (!!!) Can you see me avoiding the sweater. I just cast on a wonderful Hill Country hat by Clara Parkes with some unmarked bulky yarn. I think it's really Sweet Georgia super wash bulky. It's for the vet and friend who mounted the Fair Share trophy on a beautiful block of wood so we can put the winners' names on it.
The evenings are getting shorter and the geese are flying overhead in large flocks. Sometimes if feels as if autumn is not just a dream.

No comments: