Wednesday, August 02, 2006

High Season


These are the long, warm, drowsy days of summer. We walk in the early morning to avoid the worst of the heat. It is pleasant now, with a gentle breeze. Good for making hay.
When I was younger, my sister and I were the sons and we would help my Paw bring in the hay. Sometimes Mom would drive the tractor. I would throw the bales onto the wagon, my sister would pass them to Paw and he'd stack. The perfect, strong, never to fall stack of hay bales. She could throw a bale over her head, up three levels. Then I would unload the wagon, placing the bales on the greedy hay elevator for the poor guys in the hay mound, or loft. There was no air up there.
Now, I can barely stand to do my weeding in the heat. My kids don't go into the pool without sunscreen. We all have sunglasses. How strange. How civilized.
I do miss the long rambling horse rides through the hills. But I have my giant lab who walks with me and is very good company.
My birthday is the time of the tall corn, fresh berries and long days. I have to make sure I sit out in the shade on the deck and enjoy the outdoors today. And have a few blackberries. They are just coming ripe and the greatest indicator of the high summer.

No comments: