Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Adventures in Yarn

 On Saturday I went on a yarn crawl, maybe more of a stagger than a crawl. We met at 88 Stitches in Langley and did a bit of damage. I was there a few weeks ago and wanted my friends to enjoy this friendly store.  I bought Malabrigo for another Moody Kerchief, some Kidsilk creation and the new Jane Austen Knits magazine by Interweave Press.  S and I were done long before J could deliberate, but that's our normal. Great lunch at Mozarts.
 Then the unfortunate trip to Port Moody and Black Sheep. I thought we would go back on the Trans Canada Highway and cross the Port Mann bridge to double back. Because of the Fraser River, the roads are not direct, even though the stores aren't far as the crow flies. But S is more local and wanted to take the new Golden Ears bridge. I said fine, but I can't navigate in Maple Ridge/ Pitt Meadows. Well, apparently, with all the heavy rains, the lane and signage changes, she can't either. I have proven that I will follow her anywhere, even down a dead end gravel road.
It was like being in an old X-Files episode. Partly because we're watching the old seasons, and partly because this is where they were actually filmed.
By retracing our steps (and driving in circles almost an hour) we made it to the most charming, bright and friendly Black Sheep shop. Well worth the adventure.
 I added more Kidsilk Haze and the Mohair Bias Loop pattern to the basket, as well as some Rowan fine tweed and two copies of Coastal Knits (one for a gift).
The store samples were exquisite. I think I'll rip out the stocking stitch of my Dahlia because the rowing out is too obvious. I can do better.
 I cast off the long neglected socks and cast on the Kidsilk  Creations scarf. Not sure if I want to wear it or give it away. I feel a bit 'clownish' in it, but a more sophisticated person could carry it off.
I also finished knitting for my great nephews. Squeee. I can't show just yet. Lurkers, you know.
I'm working on the Moody Kerchief and the Mohair Bias loop. Just bought another scarf so my  Xmas knitting list is shrinking! That's one way to complete a list.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Kidsilk Haze. I once did a curly scarf (out of the Handknit Holidays book, I think) in the most amazing green colour (Jelly). Sadly, the recipient said it looked like a giant cabbage! Ah well.
I've got the Jane Austen book as well. I love it, what do you think of it?
I know what you mean about getting to a near place by a circuitous route. All our roads up here go around the lochs - it can add miles. Glad you enjoyed the adventure tho'.
:-)

Nancy McCarroll said...

Your yarn "stagger" yielded you lots of pretties! You are an ambitious gal and all is quite lovely on the posting!