Saturday, November 16, 2013

Lately

I have been having trouble getting everything done, lately. I'm behind on blogging and correspondence in general.
 Last weekend was Remembrance Day. Years ago, when I was serving in the Canadian Medical Corps Reserves, I attended the downtown Vancouver parade with ambulances back up. Later I played drums in the Canadian Legion Branch 4 Pipe Band at the Chilliwack Cenotaph. When my kids were smaller and I was teaching drumming, we paraded at the Vedder Crossing Cenotaph, which has a lovely service. This year I went to watch D's band parade at the Agassiz Cenotaph. Agassiz is a tiny town on the north side of the Fraser River and corn capital of Canada.
My poppy is from Laura Chau's Poppy pattern.
 D is pipe major and working hard to get the various small bands to work and play together.
 From the other side of the Fraser River, it's hard to recognize our Mt. Cheam of the Cascades range.
 A lovely antique Union Jack. The stitching was amazing.
 Each town has a Legion where the veterans can meet and play darts and drink. Each has a colour party of flags.
 Here's the pipe band. They just finished Scotland the Brave and are marching without playing. It was only about 5 blocks altogether.
 D calls the tune,
 He turns around.
 They fill up their bags,
 and play as they go by.
 Here is Nancy, a knitter and librarian. Her daughter has the short dark hair in the pictures above and they are my new best friends on Ravelry.
 Can't have a parade without handsome Mounties. They are certainly getting younger!

Carly and I have been enjoying warm fall weather without too much rain. The new path behind our house if perfect for walk/jog program. We went around twice today.
We have reached the 120 hat requirement for the Salvation Army Christmas Dinner. I worked twice this week, so someone else from the group (thanks Janet) picked up 3 bags of hats from the wool shop. Some of them will help the Lions Club provide hats for a local school. There is always Community Services and the Transition House. It worked out last year.
Now I can stop knitting Dude hats and focus on the last two pairs of mittens. Then maybe my UFO- the fair isle sweater. Loving the long rows of garter stitch on the log cabin baby blanket. I have been drawn to the relaxing simple knitting, lately.

1 comment:

Lifesastitch said...

They need a wee Socttie dog to accompany them. That probably wouldn't have worked for Gracee, she would have accompanied them musically, sitting back and howling along.