Monday, January 29, 2007

Happy Hats


"Can you show me the thing with the sticks?"
One of our skating coaches' 5 year old daughter asked me that when I was knitting these hats at the rink. It's a bit like knitting a kitten. Not a sweet pretty kitten.
I chose the most objectionable colours I could find because I think the chemotherapy kids in Boston would like a bit of attitude.
It scared me when a few friends remarked that they thought I was knitting something very pretty. Hmm. They never say that about my silk laceweight or my Fleece Artist socks.
I was a pediatric nurse, trained in oncology before I quit to stay home with my two kids. I actually worked for three years after they arrived and it was too hard. I wasn't getting enough hours to keep my registration so I just said don't phone me. Do I miss it?
I miss caring for people and I know now that I'm good at it because everyone is dreadful when I am sick. I had surgery two years ago and I was so proud of the high standard of nursing here in Chilliwack. But the administration and the government have been driving full speed into disaster with total mismanagement of the health care system. For me it was when they took away my head nurse. No thanks. That's like trapese without a net.
They have doctors in the building round the clock now and medical and nursing students. It was just glorified rural nursing 10 years ago.
I'm working hard to find a place to channel my not insignificant knowledge, my teaching skills and my love of working in a team. Perhaps X-ray technician? I'd love to work with Cancer patients again.
So these hats are to the brave and strong young souls who didn't choose to be in the hospital and fighting for their lives. Hope it brings a smile.