Friday, January 25, 2013

Starting Again

We were given this amaryllis late in the Christmas season and didn't know what to do with it. When we opened it, the flower had started anyway and has an elegant, though sad beauty.
The baby sweater for our relay is finished. We should have 3 or 4 layettes ready for our Chilliwack Common Threads baby shower/Valentine's party. Each of us does one element. I chose the Helena pattern, but swapped out the lace for a fair isle pattern that matches the finished hat that Diane knit. This is definitely a good pattern.
Now I can begin something new. Wrapped up some beautiful organic cotton from blue sky alpacas for a Baby Bobbi Bear.
And some lovely alpaca lace for a friend's Icarus shawl. She is going on a cruise and we have been planning this at least a year. I am happy to get started so she can wear it on the high seas. She is making me a quilt in return. Such a great group.
Even though I'm home a bit sick today, I made 6 dozen tiny chocolate cup cakes for tomorrow's yarn crawl. It is the Jane Richmond trunk show at 88 stitches and Diane's birthday. So we will share our celebration (and stick mess). I went so far as to make them gluten and lactose free for our allergic friends. I've never made marshmallows before. It is so messy, can you tell? They are certainly worth it!
Speaking of cooking new things, I only did a turkey soup in the crock pot on Tuesday, but I made these killer ribs that remind us of Azeka's in Maui. We are planning a trip to Sugar Beach, but have to wait till May. These sure got us in the mood for sun and sand! (I made them with chicken breasts)

Maui Ribs
3-31/2 lbs flanken beef short ribs
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup dark sesame oil
3 Tbsp honey
2 tsp chopped garlic
2 tsp thinly sliced ginger.
Combine all ingredients and pour over meat, marinating at least 24 hours.
Grill over medium heat.
Serve with sunglasses and flip flops.


Now I'm casting on a silk shawl for the Project Help Haiti art auction and fundraiser. Thought I would have had it done by now, but at least I have time to start.

No comments: