Monday, June 20, 2011

Yarn Crawl!!


My dear friend Liz and I took a trip to Bainbridge Island and Churchmouse Yarns and Teas. I met her in Bellingham and she drove her neat new Kia Soul to the ferry terminal in Seattle. We had lunch at Iver's Fish and Chips, a real Seattle moment.
The ferry trip was a lot like going to Saltspring Island, but not familiar. The ferry reminded me of the ones we travelled on from Manly to Sydney when we visited Australia. We gabbed and gabbed.
On the way home we took the ferry at the north end of the island to Everet. The ferry is only about 35 minutes. Next time we would probably walk on because the shop is only about a 10 minute walk from the pier.
We actually separately stated that we weren't looking for any yarn because we love our yarn and we have enough stash. You've probably heard that before. I found this sublime Sublime baby silk and bamboo dk. Yum. Shiny. I want to try the Japanese Garden Shawl and these reminded me of cherry blossoms: Sakura. I also got a cute zippered bag by rockflowerpaper at the shop next door.
Churchmouse was charming and filled with happy knitters. They publish patterns and all their personal stuff is so classy and clean with black and white and linen. I caved and bought their famous Koigu Linen Stitch Scarf pattern which was free when you bought the three random skeins of Koigu. I wanted a little yellow to pop through like in the photo. 
We had the best Earl Grey Tea, ever, at Black Bird Bakery and I bought some fabric at the amazing fabric store across the big dig that is their main street.
Never have my expectations of a destination shop been so greatly met. Part of it was the company (Rowan Felted Tweed in hand) and part of it was the calm and pretty atmosphere. They have needlepoint as well (I have two UFOs) and Bridgewater pottery which I have always loved, but can't afford. The staff were helpful and friendly.
Jared Flood was recently there and took their photos for their website and newsletter. In July they're having a big sale. Sivia Harding is teaching in August and I would just love to go back.
Today is my husband's birthday. He was away at a highland games this weekend (hence the opening in my schedule). We have BBQ  ribs and baked potatoes (man food) and  Emily is baking a cake! Happy Birthday D!

4 comments:

17th stitch said...

Happy Birthday to your husband... and your trip sounds so delightful! It was great to read about it.

Nancy McCarroll said...

Have always wanted to do the Japanese Garden Shawl and so glad you are going to knit it. Your trip sounded lovely, and the yarn is beautemous.

Thanks for your comment; Julie is now complicated with her chemo port messing up her shunt tubing. Echocardiogram today to figure out the problem.

Happy Birthday to the hubby and enjoy your man food. Does he have a man cave, too? hehe

Judy S. said...

I visited Churchmouse on Mother's Day while most of the family was at the bakery and bought that same scarf pattern and 2 others as well. It's a great shop, isn't it?It's been over a year since we were up your way, but I love going to Vancouver. What's your favorite yarnshop there? PS Thanks for visiting my blog!

Life's a Stitch said...

Sounds like lots of fun.