Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Symptom Management

I've found another cold. I wondered if I was (tragically) allergic to the Y pool as I was struck down last Thursday night with Strep-like symptoms. But it has (thankfully?) settled into a full blown cold. In defence this time I started on antibiotics. I can't afford to lose another month to coughing and fevers.

But what did I do with my time?
I foolishly went litter picking with my Community Band for Earth Day. Not recommended for non-weight bearing activity. But it was fun and certainly worthwhile.
We took the kids to the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra at the Orpheum in Vancouver. This entailed more walking and late night but what a rich and inviting concert. Stephen Hough is extraordinary. He played a lovely Brahms and our piano students were enraptured. Bramwell Tovey makes the evening so intimate. Thank-you.

Sunday was too busy with a skit at church, a meeting and our first birthday party for my 13 year old nephew. My family DOES birthdays. A little present at breakfast, your favourite supper and family for cake and coffee. My kids would have all day affairs like I did if they were smart enough to be born in the summer.
This nephew pleaded to have a cake and coffee party with family. I just about brought up a cake, but his mom caught on and he sparkled as the center of attention. He also loved the dragon we bought him.

But where is the knitting?
I finally caught up last night. I had prepared the diagonal cardigan to just pick up and begin the front. Note to self: do the first few rows before putting it down. Leave the project to begin at an easy place. Otherwise the fever-addled brain will imagine the sweater is too smart for itself and choose to read instead. Or write. I'm actually writing.

The Geometry of Love by Margaret Visser is a beautiful book of history and symbolism surrounding an early church. Almost finished that puppy.

Last night the kids and I watched M. Knight Shyamalan's The Village. We love his films and relish the first watching for it's twists. Mucho knitting. I also knit at the rink and a middle school band concert. Front done, back well under way.

I could clean house all day, attend meetings, look after children, make a wonderful supper, but I measure my day by the knitting accomplishment.

No comments: