Saturday, April 14, 2007

Vitriolic Poetry

Does it help to spew in verse. I guess so. I write it in my head even if I don't pick up a pen or, lately, a mechanical pencil. I like the less permant feel of pencil and how it links me to my first stories in Grade 1.

But I am focussing on what I CAN do.

Losing my walks meant that I had to find an alternative. I decided to go to my local Y where I was welcomed like an old friend (I am an old friend). I loved the recumant cycle - 40 minutes of reading! I missed the rowing machine and this time I didn't pull my back. So I went back after 2 days and even increased my workload. I try to go slowly, but I was such a strong youth, it 's hard for me to be an old woman.

But not so hard that I couldn't do Aquafit. Way more fun than swimming laps. I love swimming laps but I get frustrated with the old Mr. Slappy, the lane hog and Granny Dangly. It doesn't help me breathe and get into the zone to be writing petitions against seniors in the lanes.
But this aquafit is too much fun and still a challenge. I didn't know we'd get floaty belts. I was really worried about the aerobic stamina required to do deep water aerobics and my foot won't let me play in the shallow end. No worries. Get out there and play!

I ripped up the overgrown heather in the drive way this morning. Three wheelbarrows full. It was a bit too much. I bought new babies the same because they're the colour of the ones we saw on all the hillsides in Scotland. Tomorrow I"ll put them in and finish the edging (300ft) in preparation for the load of barkmulch we bid on at the Silent Auction of the skating club banquet.
Noodle Pie won a big award for field moves which means putting her skate over her head as she rushes past in different positions. Well done. Last year she won a jumping award.

Today I played flute with the Community Band. It was a challenge just to stay mentally focussed during the program for supporting out troops. Many of the older guys in our band played with the CFB Chilliwack band, back in the day (before the Liberal Government shut down our only mainland BC base). Our music flapped around and the tempos are still too fast for me. But I really feel I'm improving and they haven't kicked me out yet. I enjoy the big band music and the marches. It's so great to be playing ensemble.

We watched the Titans DVD tonight and loved it. It helped me get quite a lot more done on my diagonal sweater. I'm trying to marvel at and enjoy the construction to get me through this straight stretch. But it's hard to knit when I'm reading Anne Lamott and I never want to put it down.
Riches. Blessings. More to life than my constitutional. Lots that I can do.

No comments: