Saturday, June 09, 2007

One Good Turn


I turned the heel of this neglected sock and hardly realized it.

I've heard a lot about Nancy Bush and I was surprised to find I actually had the right yarn for her Ribs and Cable Sock in Interweave Knit's Fall 2005. This is a great pattern.

I'm no sock expert and I thought I would make Jay Walkers (put me alone on the list who have not made them yet) but I couldn't resist trying this simple, classic design. The yarn is from Helen's Needlework in Mt. Vernon Washington where I am lucky enough to shop during the July Highland Games. It's from a few years ago. I also enjoyed Wild Fibres there and would hit that store first. But I don't think I'll be going to any games on this bad foot.


So I managed to pick away at this sock during travels. I hope to make the toe with Lucy Neatby's chimney and cast on quickly for the second. I like having a pair of socks on the needles even if I don't need mindless knitting.


I like the short row heel. We'll see how it fits soon. This Mountain Colors is fuzzier and not as tightly spun as the Socks That Rock. I do love the colours. I like the idea of fancy socks that don't kick you in the teeth with their pattern. I have big feet and cold feet, so these socks should do fine.


I've knit several pairs before (5? 6?) I have three more pairs worth: 2 more mountain colours (one for pedicure socks for my friend for Xmas I hope) and Trekking XXL. That's pretty yummy stash for such a small gathering. I wasn't even tempted to buy more while I hadn't turned the heel on this one.


The great disappointment that is my blue diagonal cardigan now has one short sleeve and one long. I just ripped it from the longest point I could live with and knit up the cuff. I was going to knit it separately and graft it on, but with two rows of garter stitch, it didn't seem to matter. Still I couldn't face ripping up the second one last night while D. and I watched O Brother Where Art Thou (alone!), so I tucked in all the loose ends. It was surprisingly comforting like soaping a saddle or hanging laundry in the sun. Soon I will do the second sleeve and, instead of a pile of yarn in the stash, or an unfinished object on the needles, I will have a sweater. I will even try to love it.

I managed to get to the knitting Friday morning at the Chilliwack Craft and Wool Shop. I like those ladies so much. A fine smattering of old Dutch grannies, ladies my age from field and forest, and the odd (not so odd) hipster. Lots of learning going on in that group. I am their link to knitty and the internet. I can't imagine managing knitting without the internet community. So much sharing going on. And I'm learning to open up and add my two (Canadian) cents.

Well, one good turn deserves another.

No comments: