Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Making

Emily made a gingerbread house while I worked days on Christmas Eve. I went to my Mom's after my shift to join the family. The roads were dreadfully covered in snow. I watched it come down all day while I worked. It obliterated my car. I was glad to be home and not going back for Christmas day.
We had a quiet morning with french toast a la Scotty. Mom and Paw came over with the biggest presents. This is what was inside for me:

A dress form of my own. I think I shall call her Evangeline. I was sort of named after my Mom's childhood friend, Vangie Taylor. Here she is wearing the sweater off my back, February Lady. Obviously I have to do some dialing up. This is very exciting. I may even do some sewing now.


Carly is feeling better. She doesn't like her Christmas collar. Her tummy is better, so D clipped her nails. She has black nails and it takes a vet. Unfortunately, one was clipped too short and it bled a little. We put her out in the snow. When she came back in, she picked at it and it bled all over the white carpet while I slept. D put on a bandage and she did a heroic job of trying to limp and look pathetic. Now we call her "the bloody dog" with an accent (London, Bombay? Not too good).




We went up Promontory Hill (I know, redundant) to the inlaws for Christmas feast. Snow everywhere. The valley is about 8 miles wide and 30 miles long. A cradle for my upbringing and my life.
This morning Paw called and my Grandma passed away last night. She was 95 and in no discomfort. Death came quietly and peacefully to her side. I'm sad that I don't have my Grandma, but I am not sad for her.
It's going to be a little hard tonight to go to work on a floor where we expect at least one or two deaths. Most of them have had a terrible battle with medical and surgical treatments and need to escape. My Grandma, Annie, just slipped out quietly as she had lived her life.
Bless her soul.



2 comments:

Angie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss of your grandmother. I hope your shift went well for you.

LNS said...

I'm glad to see that you had a lovely holiday and that the bloody dog is feeling better! Great gingerbread house :-)

I also offer my condolences for the loss of your Grandmother.