Monday, October 29, 2007

The Land of Sheep and Wool

On Friday I went with my mom and paw and daughter to Saltspring Island for my second sister's 50th birthday. The ferry was 1 1/2 hour drive and 3 hours across. Whew. She lives way up Mount Maxwell. Her neighbours raise sheep and goats, spin and weave and knit. It was heavenly. She is just finishing building her own sheep fold and hopes to get some in the spring.
This is my sister's Canada Goose. She revived it as a chick and it has returned from migration. Check out her website Mount Maxwell Cards.
Arbutus trees grow all over the Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island. Their red bard is part of the romance and magic of the setting.
From her kitchen you can just see Mount Baker and our own Mount Cheam of the Cascade range. This is due east.
Here is sister's spinning and knitting. Of course it's a guernsey. Perfect. She gave me a skein of some that was too fine. I also bought a cone (2,000 meters) of single ply wool from her friend at the market. She said she knew those sheep and they have a spinning mill on the island.
In expressing how large my basement is, I think I slipped a digit. It is 300 square feet (not 3,000). I have a tentative relationship with numbers. But I can still knit.
Here is Long Harbour as we are preparing to leave. The sea was calm and the air was warm. The party was filled with interesting (very interesting Saltspring types) people and lots of my family that she doesn't get to see so often.
My niece was there without hubby and step kids so we got to visit a lot with her. They all spent lots of time looking at my daughter's and my godson/nephew's books of drawing. Sister is a painter and she gave me an original of one of her crow cards which I had framed. Wow. I have several of her paintings at home.
I haven't shown her happy face as she opened the shawl because I am not sure if I should post pictures of unsuspecting people. I have barely posted my own photo. I don't want to risk my family to the unknown, and yet I am compelled to share with you. If said sister knew about the blog, it might be different. But I've only told one or two people so far.
You were with me as I couldn't stop taking photos to share with you!

No comments: