Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Celebration of Small Things

Happy Birthday Mr. Shakespeare. I'm enjoying Bill Bryson's "The World As a Stage" on my ipod, right now. I have been an actor of Shakespeare, a collector of books about him and his works, and now, I hope, a habitual theatre goer. This year Bard on the Beach is doing my favourite: King Lear. I must go. Last year was a success when I took NoodlePie to Romeo and Juliet. D. is afraid of Shakespeare because he says he can't understand it, although he enjoys it when I drag him. I should say the same about bagpiping.
I also have a shelf of Dickens: I read them all over two years when the kids were younger. And a shelf of Sherlock Holmes. Oh and several other book collections.

The giant (22 inch) mitred squares are rolling along. I am good at setting infinitely small goals so that I may feel accomplishment with each day. I learned that in Psych Nursing. The fourth square will be 4 smaller squares. This is not process knitting. But my mother-in-law will be able to visit her mother tomorrow as the ward is open from quarantine and she has to take the ferry to Vancouver Island. The older sister, who is a retired nurse (and a new widow) is helping so much with connecting with the faceless staff of the closed unit. Great Grandma is 94. She just had her driver's license removed before Christmas. Am I wrong to believe that, in the absence of respiratory and cardiac disease, and just arthritis, that she has a good chance of living in a nursing home and taking care of her own daily needs? She can stand and talk. I think she's just tired and sad that she won't be returning to her home on an acre on a lake which her husband built from logs he milled and where she raised her 4 children. I wish I could sit at her bedside and listen to her pioneering stories right now.

Back to my own studies of Rhuematoid Arthritis. I finished my chapter readings yesterday. Baby steps.

1 comment:

Life's a Stitch said...

I have never been to B on the B. Sounds like I need to add it to my must do list.

What a woman you've described. We should all be that lucky. I have a fried whose 94 yr old dad made a successful transition to assisted living. He was still mowing the lawn at 94! He died a few years back, but he was happy. When he was moved from the family home he said he wished he'd live a long time so he could fully enjoy all that assisted living could offer him. He was there four years. It's about attitude, isn't it? (Not to mention money when it comes to assisted living.)