Sunday, October 09, 2011

Saltspring Retreat

 Sunset on Saltspring is a wonderful start to the day. Our retreat days started early with huge breakfasts and went late after delicious organic dinners from vegetables grown on the site of the Harbour House Hotel.
 This is the view of the marina from the front stairs.

There were lots of colours to choose from for our Fearless Fair Isle knitting lessons with Barb Brown. Caroline dyed lots of extra electrictree sock yarn for us and rolled it into small cakes. We each made a bag of 3 colours including several new techniques, a three colour row, and real, live steeking. I don't call these lessons 'tips'. Tips are too tiny. These are mind-blowing knitting secrets from the Shetland Island knitter and the combined knitting experience of some great fibre artists.
I also got a great lesson in drop spindling and feel quite full of myself.
There was a bit of stash acquisition, but it's hand-dyed by electric tree and some was for Emily.
The weather held and we had fun tromping up and down the quiet roads to wineries, bakeries and a farmers' market. I got to meet up with a few knitters I had met years ago at Sivia Harding's retreat and am so grateful to get to know them a bit better. I also made a new buddy who is fearless and way too fit, but funny, funny and fun. Thanks.
I had so much fun spending time with my sister, niece and great niece and just breaking up with our own brand of humour.
You should have been there.

1 comment:

electrictree said...

It was great, wasn't it? Beautiful photos!