Wednesday, November 19, 2008

We Have Skills


Today I drove in to Surrey in terrible traffic (it took 1 1/2 hours instead of 1) but beautiful clear and warm weather, and performed my skills assessment on a case study dummy patient with some medical problems for which I was the only one to fix.
It was excrutiating!!! I would rather sing a solo in front of thousands, okay, I would really like to sing O Canada at a hockey game. But I was more nervous than I can ever remember. I feel bad, a bit, that I didn't trust my lab instructors to be fair and generous. They have been nothing else. But in the army our casualty simulations always went sour and tried to die. "No heart beat!!!"
Plus some of my classmates have had to take it again. It would have been a blow to my very fragile and overinflated nursing ego.
The best news is that I don't have to drive in to Surrey anymore! Yay! I don't remember ever really driving in to Surrey before.
I took my time coming home and from now I will do that: take my own time. To knit and read and walk the poor dog and maybe even write. Gasp.
I started whining in January and haven't stopped.
My hospital training should begin in December and go for about a month. Wish me luck as I step out of that plane. Be prepared for more whining.

No comments: