Thursday, June 22, 2006

Picking Up the Pieces


This is Childhood from knitty. I have made it once already, of stash yarn, for my baker's baby. This one is for "Race Car" whom we'll be staying with this summer. What really makes it special- not just the great pattern, the Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride, and the yummy rhododendron colors- is the matching June bug that I'll be making from Jess Hutchinson's Unusual Toys For You to Knit andEnjoy.
This book was in my stocking and I fell in love with the soft robot. That went to a little Peaches for his second birthday. I made it out of my softest merino left overs. Knitting it was simple, but piecing is tricky to get the attitude you envision.
One of the young skaters at the rink laughed as I was knitting this sweater because it's exactly the same shade of pink as my knitting bag, and it looked to her as if I was unravelling my bag to knit the sweater.
I don't really like sitting at the figureskating lessons except I have good friends and I get to knit. My daughter is on a short break now before Summer Skating (a strong oxymoron) and then I'll start a new special project that I am not really designing but adapting.
I feel as if I have to produce a few projects in a hurry to deserve more wool. I usually only have one project on the needles, but I have a year long project that I tackle monthly and I had to meet a birthday deadline (with three weeks to spare so I can admire Kiri at my leisure).
I managed to get some gentle knitting in lastnight on Clapotis while I listened to Ideas on a CBC podcast. I was trying to settle my mind after a skating club meeting that was predictably overwhelming. I don't care about skating. It is my daughter's passion, and I will support the club and the great people in it. But I refuse to sell my soul to the program. Give me poetry and music and I'm in. I have a history of getting in too deep with volunteering and bugging out (once already in this club) when my health fails. So now I have to be my own mother and tell the nice people that Angie would be happy to help them after she finishes what's on her plate.
I feel as if I have so many pieces floating around in skating, pipeband (not as much as when I was playing drums), Sunday School and of course my course.
Today I will be able to dive into some research for next week's homework, prepare a birthday cake for D and his family coming over tonight and set up my next knitting project - after the June bug and the Clapotis and the other things I wanted to do first when I bought them.
I enjoyed my walk, and I will sit quietly to knit together the pieces of my mind.

No comments: