Thursday, November 01, 2012

Turn the Calendar

I love the planning and flurry of activity that goes into the beginning of the month. At the end of the month I usually ignore it, but I embrace it on the fresh new day one.
We celebrate the seasons in this house. A way to mark the passage of time, to create and instill traditions that enhance our daily lives. I love ordinary time.
Observing and discussing the stripes on the wooly bear caterpillar has always been an important time stamp. Emily used to say callapitter.
Now she plays trumpet in the Kwantlen Polytechnic University Jazz Band. That's her on the far right in the back. Their concert yesterday was wonderful. I can't think of a better way to celebrate Hallowe'en.
I also received a Tiny Owl Card Pals package from Katsmonkeyhouse. What a treat!
Now that the spooking is done, I can plant my amaryllis, set up my Christmas picture and get ready to send out cards.
Last night I cast off my 6th scarf for the Green Heart Warm Heart project. The Chilliwack Common Threads Knitting Circle wanted to collect 160 scarves for the Salvation Army Christmas Dinner. I have 180 in my basement right now and more are thrown at me every day. What a blessing. There are lots of ladies scarves, plus hats and mitts that we will share with Chilliwack Community Services.

I am knitting mitten number 20 of 24. Now that I feel I can get this done for December, I'm enjoying it more. I need to embroider on some of the plain ones and I have to get creative with the stripes. I'll do a bit more fair isle on the last ones. My scraps of yarn may even last. Then I'll crochet hooks and use the icord machine to make a string to hang them from. It will be a banner in my dining room this year, but would make a nice advent calendar.
This is a busy month with extra shifts to help with staffing shortages. I'm getting behind on some of my church work and was a zombie at knitting- appropriate because I wore the knitted brain hat. I'll try to post a picture from our Facebook page.
But the plants have been watered and the mattresses turned. The beginning of the month is a bit more work with cleaning, but worth it.
What do you do when you start a month?

1 comment:

Linda said...

I would love to say that I cleaned the house top to bottom, but no! I've never thought of having a beginning of the month ritual. Sounds a good idea - a fresh start every month.

How lovely to see your daughter playing in the university band. We are going up to my daughter's university this week to see her play in the first semester orchestra concert.