Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Rocky Mountain High

 You just have to look down the streets in Banff to see the most stunning mountain formations. On the first day I took a bus to Canmore (good service but not running when I need it) to Knit and Caboodles shop and had a great time with the owner and dyer, Catherine (Katherine?). I bought some wool!! Next post will revel the stashing and the knitting.
 On the second day I went wandering. You can't call it hiking because it was not far off the streets, but it was climbing on the trails. I went to the Banff Centre for the Arts. Amazing!
 This is the out door amphitheatre. There were just a few music or dance students moving about. Not a good mix with the hockey performance school. We have had friends spend time here with the National Youth Orchestra. Le sigh.
 The centre for creativity and innovation is achieving its goals with such crazy benches.
 Then I went down the Bow River trail to the Bow Falls.
 I got a bit lost trying to reach the Banff Springs Hotel. I was on the right trail, but it was marked only for the falls. I took another path through a bit of a field and saw some big, fresh, bear scat! I started singing out loud (and I can sing loudly) but that last street was called "Muscrat Street", so out of my mouth comes "Muscrat Love". Do you remember Captain and Tonille? So embarrassing! I think the bears blushed.
 I got up to the hotel, so old and beautiful and full of iconic statues, brick work and vistas.
 They did a marvellous job of the flower beds, considering it was late August and an alpine altitude.
 Then D and I went walking to the Cave and Basin. I always wanted to go into the Indian Trading Store, but I couldn't get over the inappropriateness. We poked around.
 This is the Bow River, all calm at the end of our street.
 The Cave and Basin is the original sight of the Banff hot springs, discovered as the railroad was going through. It was such a valuable asset that the idea of a National Park was created to preserve and share it. In the 1980's we used to come and swim here, especially when it was snowing. No one is allowed in now and they have paved over the 1920's swimming pool.
 The interpretive walk is interesting and it was a great relief to get away from the hoards of aimlessly wandering tourists who crowded the sidewalks and wouldn't let us pass. We were here last year and I exhausted the souvenir shops at that time.
 I love the old fort look of this National Heritage site. There weren't many people even though it was only a half hour walk from the town.
And back in the town, we marvelled at the beauty of the Rockies. Such a beautiful place to visit and escape from the craziness that is the end of the summer at our house. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Judy S. said...

Beautiful photos of a lovely place!