Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Under the Blankets

 It has been well below freezing here. This sign from our delightful Noodle Box in Vancouver. We are not used to the cold. The weather has cheered up, but I am under the blankets with a chest cold. Cough. Cough. I am worried that I will miss another nursing shift at the end of the week. The baking isn't getting itself made. Another reason I do so much ahead of time.
 A lovely hand-decorated snow man from the son of one of my co-workers. I love to play with him when he shows up on the unit.
 I was on the Cold Sheep board of the Stash and Burn group on Ravelry. It's a place where we encourage each other to resist the yarn buying and enjoy one's own stash. Ironically, I picked up a destash. Rowan felted tweed in duck egg at half price. I love it. I'm not safe.
 One of the amazing roses at the Granville Island Market. I'm not one for fakely dyed flowers, but I couldn't get enough of this.
 From our room, looking across Burrard Inlet to the North Shore Mountains. The clouds were gathering, but we did evade the freezing drizzle. The flags were at half mast for Mandela.
A quick trip to the Island to pick up Emily. I planned to stay over at her little apartment and take her, her boyfriend, and Scott and his girlfriend for dinner. We had a nice dinner, and even got to go back to Scott's place for tea and a bit of fun with his cat.
The Friday was planned for coffee with the Bartons and our friend Elizabeth from Africa. It was a bit wirlwind, but worth the effort. Barbara gave us her original sewing machine she bought before she was married. It will probably go to Mexico with us, because it is in good condition and mechanical instead of computer driven. They are so generous. I can see her sewing in their new home in the 1960's as missionaries in Uganda.
 Sunday was the pageant! There were 8 angels, but only 2 shepherds. That's how we roll. We presented Carman's "first" pageant from the opening of the building in 1898. Such great kids!
 The baby blanket is finished. I'm not sure I would buy something so wild. But it was a joy to knit, when I needed something simple, and it was surprisingly quick.
 Can we jump up and down together for icord cast off? Cough, cough.
And the cat cave is done. Truly a lesson in architecture! I made the yarn from tshirts, crocheted according to pattern and then reinforced with corrugated plastic (a blank realtor's sign). The mousey is adding catnip goodness. I hope Charlie likes it. He is an apartment kitty. Dallas did make sure to say that he loves the bed and the felted ball I gave him.
Christmas is coming. Hope you are well and enjoying the festivities. I'm going back under the covers with my dear friend Nyquil to try to mend.

1 comment:

Lifesastitch said...

If I had know you were there I would have waved from those mountains ;-)

Love the baby blanket, especially the colours.