Tuesday, February 03, 2015

If I Had the Time

 It's February and we are slowly but surely seeing the light strengthen and stretch. I keep bulbs in the house to remind us to look forward to spring.
 I really want February to be fun!
 I whipped up this little Milo vest for my Great Nephew's first birthday and I am in love with the pattern. Had to tweak the numbers because my stash yarn gave a bigger gauge, but that meant knitting fewer stitches. Win, Win. I will definitely knit this again, especially since I figured out the unique construction. Lala said it was one of her go-to patterns and I can always trust her! He is such a loving and curious young man! Hope to spend more time with him.
 I headed in to UBC, Point Grey, Vancouver for a day's workshop. We used to hold it in this beautiful castle, the Iona building, but that had to be sold. Our Vancouver School of Theology is still working hard and the Sunday School conference is a highlight of my year. I don't get to play with my tribe very often (I feel the same way when I am around Pediatric nurses). I met Linnea Good who writes a lot of the children's songs and hymns for the United Church of Canada and I went all fan girl on her. She has partnered with a wonderful teacher, Nancy Reeves, whom I met through Hospice. Totally bought the new book.
Just beyond those trees is the Pacific Ocean. This was a magical place to live and study in the 80's. It was a time of great potential. I ended up leaving after first year to study Nursing, but I enjoyed the trees and the beach, the classes and the fun in residence.
 We are not ready to let go of Robert Burns celebrations so easy. I made shortbread to take to a Ceilidh at our past pipe major's home.
 He is on the right with the fireside pipes while one of our drummers give the Address to the Haggis.
 Our musicians are talented in many ways, so we had quite a bit of fun sharing djembe drums and guitars. Here D is on the Irish whistle, and I'm accompanying him. There is a great force to do more varied music at another November concert. Yay. What a fun gathering of generous people. It is a good idea to meet outside of practice so we can relax and become a pipe band family.
 Scotty came home. He mainly stayed in the basement and did coding, but he appreciated the good food and the warm welcome. When we got out of church, he hadn't eaten breakfast, so we took him to our little airport.
Church was all music because it was our minister's last day before retiring. My youth helped serve Communion and the Sunday School sang the Benediction that we have been working on for a few weeks. I am so proud of them. But exhausted, too. MIL had a birthday party, but it was really all about the Super Bowl and I don't follow sportball. If you are watching TV when you invite me over, I am permitted to knit.
 My nephew is coming home from Brazil and we are having a welcome party for him and his partner on Valentines Day. See what I mean about fun? I made a banner that says bem-vindo which is welcome in Portuguese. There will be more shortbread and probably tortiere. We want to shower them in Canadian love.
 Mom's 80th birthday is tomorrow. She is disappointed that none of my 3 sisters will be around to celebrate. We are having a big family gathering in May. But I will take her shopping in the next town and out for lunch. I take her out to lunch quite oftne, so I was worried that it wouldn't be special, but that's what makes it special.
 My niece is applying to do Highland Dance at the Edinburgh Tatoo! She asked me to move the hooks and eyes on her velvet jacket. Working in black isn't so much fun, but thinking of her performing on the esplanade is. I don't see much of her and her brother, so I appreciate having a bit of involvement.
And today I am taking my Matchmaker cowl on an inaugural jaunt. Driving down to Bellingham with piping friends to have lunch with more piping friends. These are the things I would do if I had the time. Well this month I am going to make the time.
 Our front door pots are trying to welcome the spring. We can enjoy these days.

1 comment:

Lifesastitch said...

C attended VST for a couple of years starting 1985. I didn't realize that Iona was sold. hope it's not being torn down and condo-ized. You are so busy with fun!