Thursday, April 09, 2015

Easter Weekend



 Preparations for Easter feast began even before Lent. My nephew has moved home from Brazil and his partner has not experienced Canadian beers. Well, my kids are experts at craft beers and enjoy all the variety in locally made beers of Victoria. We decided to celebrate the fact that our babies are now young adults and very good at having fun. There were big batches of cookies. (while watching Stockinette Zombies).
There was a huge ham and potato salad and other salads. Very picnic. My favourite kind of food. I had my parents and a sister, lots of nephews and their spouses, and even my BFF and her son, my honorary nephew, home from Oxford for a visit.
 The Chilliwack Common Threads Knitting Circle wanted to thank my church for sharing a space for our community every Tuesday evening from 7-9 pm, so I got to present a gift of 41 hand made dish cloths.
 My kids came home! This means there is serious grilled cheese, lots of trumpet music and cozy pizza and video night.
 We went out to dinner with D's parents.
 I was there, too.
 Our tradition is to celebrate Sunrise Service on Easter morning at our rustic country cemetery. It is a time of joy and we have guests we don't see otherwise.
 D does the trumpeting, even when he still has a nasty cold from Mexico. My good news is that my back is mostly better and I was able to play the bass drum at practice last night. Still not going back.
 One of our favourite parts of the Easter feast: devilled eggs. I made 2 dozen and there weren't many left. There wasn't  much food left over at all.
 My nephew brought his new puppy, Max, and she was very good. Carly was a grumpy old lady and growled at her, so we kept them apart. Carly got the house.
 When cousins come over, there are always board games!
 Jean made Victoria Sponge with her own lemon curd. I was all on fire to make this after watching Kay on the Bakery Bears. It was just as good as it looks.
 Also from Bakery Bears is a new cowl pattern called Handbrake. I bought it the moment it came out because all proceeds go to Cancer Research and obiwanknitter, Dan, is a Cancer survivor. As a nurse, I don't get to see the happy results of successful treatment very often. And the way they have told their story fills me with hope (very Easter).
 The yarn I chose (from my stash) happens to match the jelly beans that mom brought as a hostess gift. It is done and blocking now because it is very simple and addicting to knit. I have two skeins queued for gift knitting. It is certainly a great pattern to knit for men.
Gardens are blooming all over here. The only snow we have is from blossoms falling. I hope that spring comes soon to those who have battled the weather all winter.
 For next winter, I have finished the Sockhead hat. This will be a gift. Such lovely Mountain Colours yarn and good manly colours. It was a divine travelling companion.
 Did I say I am happy to be home?
 Also finished the Declan hat after a false start. This yarn is thicker than it first seemed. So I knit the smallest size and, after blocking, it is still big enough for even my Paw's head. Astounding! Still stash diving. I am torn about starting the Messulina shawl. The only yarn I have that is suitable was actually donated to the knitting circle. I shall call the donator and ask if I can substitute another yarn for donation. Everything is coming up dk and I have worsted, fingering and lace weight. Enough yarn that I shouldn't be buying more. Perhaps when we are in Sedona, I can find some dk. Or some cashmere for the 3 colour cashmere cowl. Instead I should be stashing down harder.
My kids and their silly dog. Emily bathed and brushed her so nicely. The dog was so happy to have her kids at home. After a scare last month, we wanted to get pictures with her before they went back to Vancouver Island to their work and study.
Such a lovely weekend with family and friends. We are called to celebrate and live in the good parts of our lives.

No comments: