Saturday, February 20, 2016

Walk Toward the Light

 It has been very February here this week. Lots of rain, short days, short tempers. My friends ask about symptoms of soreness and allergy. Only about a month before we are surrounded by spring flowers. Keep busy, make connections with each other and get some stuff done while you're a bit housebound.
 Enjoyed a Fish Lips Kiss party to make our templates and push past the math. Next we will cast on some socks to try this heel. I bought the pattern years ago, but was daunted by the 16 pages of instruction. Sox Therapist is now diagnosed with severe breast cancer, so our community is trying to support her by gifting the pattern and knitting it together.
 Fun distraction: elder college. I am enjoying Wednesday mornings with our former band teacher learning about the history of jazz.
 And continuing to swim laps at the pool. I am so surprised I can still swim. I thank my SIL and my BFF, Jen, for the late in life lessons. 
 Galactic Hat Knit a Long. Really a great pattern. Doesn't hurt to make it in Malabrigo.

Couldn't decide if it needs a pompom, so I'll make one and give it separately. Uses up more yarn stash. Maybe I'll make one in each colour.
 She doesn't believe she can walk around the block, but she likes to get out several times a day. It's a bit like having a cat that wants in and out.

 Sewed a cover for my wedge cushion. I am not going to sit on it all the time, but am getting to know it. I think a key for my back is to not sit or stand or do anything for too long.

 More exploration of new ideas. This is my first English Paper Piecing. I am thinking of making a small quilted object. Trying to use up some of my fabric stash.
I was given this silk yarn as a gift with an order from a hand dyer. Slowly I gathered the idea to knit a bluebird of happiness. And then I had to make a clutch of them.

 This gives me such delight. Now I can add the left over yarn to my sock yarn blanket. There are some Easter stuffies in the queue.
And I'm actually moving forward on Emily's quilt. She made the squares years ago but made some mistakes and had to put it away. I tidied some edges and sewed them together. Last night I made the quilt sandwich, pinned it and did some hand basting. Next step is to sew long strips of machine quilting. I didn't think I could have it done by Easter, but now it is possible.
We had a lovely quiet Valentines Day. I like to celebrate every season. For Groundhog Day, I tried to live a day I wouldn't mind repeating. Valentines is a good excuse to snuggle and eat chocolate.
Like my bigger knitting projects, I break down the steps into smaller goals, I break down these days and weeks into small steps for small victories. And get out into the sun as much as possible.

No comments: