Sunday, July 09, 2006

Highland Yarn Crawl



The Highland Games schedule in the Pacific Northwest takes pipers and dancers from the north end of Vancouver Island to Portland. We used to go to every game. Every weekend. Start packing on Wednesday. Small childrens toys, small kilts, drums, pipes, snacks. Whew. And I was competing as a tenor drummer myself and teaching several kids. Whew.
Saturday was my first Games this year. Since my daughter and I stopped drumming, it isn't as compelling. Or maybe we just were immunized to the mania.
Each Games has its own character. Mt. Vernon is small and well-run. We go to a friends' BBQ after, which always makes it special. Last year, for the first time, I ventured off the grounds. I found Helen's Needlework. She sold me some Mountain Colors sock yarn, her Fibretrends pattern, some wooden double points and a little leash to hold them. I liked her matter of fact knowledge. I went back.
Jane was lovely, trying to help me find wool for a difficult gift. I loved the loose yardage of Mountain Colors. Do you think I have a red thing going? And that's real XXL Trekking sock yarn that I saw last year and wish I had bought. The red alpaca was for a baby sweater. but now I think I'll make a lace scarf. Maybe. And there's more! There was another yarn shop down the road with Rowan and organic cotton and cutting edge cool. Two stores! I'll be back next Highland Games.

No comments: