Friday, December 02, 2011

Start With Me

 The parmesan shortbread was given the green light at book club last night. We think it can be improved by topping it with red pepper jelly. So I made a double batch this morning. As my kids get older they are more interested in savoury treats. This is the kick off to the Christmas baking for me (if you don't count the Christmas Cake). Coming soon: butter tarts and traditional shortbread. I'd really like to make Latvian cookies with some of the beautiful jelly we were given.
 The dining room was scrubbed down yesterday and all the books returned to their shelves. Even the mantle has some Christmas touches with our wedding gift silver candle sticks. This year I look forward to lots of red and silver. Roses and alstroemeria make a simple and long lasting bouquet. I was a little worried because one of our friends owns the best florist shop, but she is too kind to say anything about my Safeway flowers. I put flowers in the bathroom, I love flowers in the bathroom!
 I am increasingly using candy as decoration (can you see the vase of candy canes next to the holly on the coffee table?) . But I want it eaten, too. This is a mixture similar to what my mom used to put in our stockings. Love the ribbon candy, but I can't invest in having my mouth torn apart until after our concert. I'm excited about playing ukelele with the kids and singing a solo: Rudolph in doo wap.
The temperature continues to hover around 5 degrees (Celsius) and dipping into freezing at night. The sun is so pleasant! The touches of red really cheer me up. Thanks Jane Brocket for the inspiration! I want to link you to Completely Cauchy, but perhaps on a day when her post is not PG-13.
I love the promise of family gathering and singing with children that this season brings. We will be flying from concert to concert (2 extra at Emily's university). But we love to be bathed in music.
There has been a little knitting on a selfish brown Malabrigo Moody Kerchief for me. I need to get back to the list.
Let the season begin.

1 comment:

Life's a Stitch said...

Oh yumm. I've been depending too much upon food as a coping mechanism and this definitely fits the bill.