Friday, June 23, 2006

Beauty Is In the Eye of the Beholder





















D got a new lawnmower. A baby tractor. This is a beautiful thing to him. To me, lawn is something to frame flower beds. My job is to steal a bit of turf every year for more roses. I thought the goal was to get out of mowing. But apparently it can be a hobby. It was his dad, a great mower of large farm lawns who bestowed this awe-inspiring gift on the eldest son. I cannot fathom the attraction.
But Carly, my 90 lb black lab cross is all sleek black beauty, like a selkie, a mythic shape-shifting seal, she has a magic about her. She came to us from the SPCA when the forest fires were burning out of control in Kelowna and Kamloops. She is my fitness buddy. We walk 5km almost every day. Even this week when I don't have time to go to the gym, when I'm clogged with volunteer administrative duties, the kids are writing exams at odd times and my husband has a birthday party.
We gathered lastnight with cake and coffee to celebrate his birth. He is well favoured and we had a good family visit with both our parents. I met him in 1978 when I was in Grade 10. We went out all through highschool and then again at the end of my Nursing School. Our farms were next door to each other.
Maybe that's why he has the urge to harvest the grass crop on a regular basis. We don't water the lawn because we're a bit snobbish about the environmental measures we have adopted. We grew up with David Suzuki and the Nature of Things and believe he has the right vision. My kids walk to school.
David Suzuki is listed on the iknit knit a river site. Yay! We have a little salmon river in our back yard and it is cold and clear and so beautiful.

No comments: