Friday, June 30, 2006

Saved By Knitting



Lately I have been increasingly frustrated with the speed of my lovely laptop. Is it this Blogger program? It's so slow, and since I've been playing with it , I've had all kinds of waits. I don't know. It could be an associative relationship.
So I grabbed my little childhood sweater and started piecing while I waited. Ta DA! No more frustration. One of the great things about this pattern is the placement of snaps instead of buttons. This allows the little person to do up her own jacket and be so proud. It also enables me to use the carelessly impractical buttons that I couldn't resist buying against all motherhood sense. No child would ever get those through a button hole. And so - no button holes. Win, win.
Sewing and embroidery are probably what I learned first at age five or six (?) and I'm comfortable with hand work. Since I read Sally Melville's Knit Stitch, my seams have been nicer and consequently more enjoyable.
I'm still enjoying Clapotis, but I'm going to take a quick break to whip up a few baby bonnets for underpriveleged babies in Californina. Stephanie will send me the detail, but a friend of hers is trying to promote breastfeeding and newborn health in California. One of my favorite things! I love newborn babies, and that's probably what I miss most about working in a hospital is handling the wee people. Sigh. I had my own babies and stayed home to be with them.
Yesterday it was official, my 13 year old daughter is taller than me. My son is over 6 feet tall and taller than his dad. I was the baby in the family. For years I was the littlest. Then I outgrew my mom and all but 1 sister. Now I'm the little one again.

No comments: