Thursday, June 29, 2006

That's Not My Weather


It's very hot. I have always lived in a moderate climate. Every month we have a day or tow that could be called November. But climate change means you get someone else's weather. We have hot and dry. That's not my weather. This rainforest is what I choose. Mild and wet. Oh well. I have nurtured shade. There is always a place in my garden that is out of the heat. As the sun travels over our backyard in its shallow arc to the the south, I can hide in different leafy spots.
Clapotis is 4 dropped stitch patterns along. It's still fun. Knitting is for evenings when we go into the basement and watch videos. My daughter has wanted me to watch with her. I try to introduce her to good movies. She tries to feed me fluff. It depends on how involved the knitting is, whether I can stand them. I walked her to scholl this morning for the last time in Grade 7.
My son bought a cool bike yesterday. It was expensive, but he doesn't spend a lot of money and I want him active this summer. This is the first year since he was 5 that he's not on a soccer team. Maybe he'll spend his 15-year-0ld summer ranging oabout and exploring as I did on my horse. He could use a dose of independence and time with his buddies.
When they return thismorning with their report cards and year books, the summer will officially begin and this solitude will be elusive and endangered. I will have to cheat to find time to write. I may have to occupy a coffee shop. One with shade.

No comments: