Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Music to My Eyes


My flute instructor loved her scarf. It's so her - all sparkly and bright.
Our recital was "quaint". That's code for a bit painful. In that hot little room of the Heritage house we call the Music Academy, our flutes were not sounding good. Stuffy and sharp.
The other students are little kids 8-10 years old and one teenage girl. How they can keep going with very little, airy sound, I don't know. My own playing was not strong. I've played that Shubert waltz better.
But I wanted to support her and work on a piece to polish it. I do much better playing at church with the big space and good acoustics. I'm preparing "Simple Gifts" for July, but we're calling it Lord of the Dance. My ear is much better than my playing right now. I like to work on scales and stuff, though, so I hope to get a little ways this summer. These are the first flute lessons I've taken for 20 years, and I improved quite a bit on my own. But I don't want to be on my own. I want to join the Community Band, and then maybe the Chilliwack Symphony. I don't know. I just want to make music with others. I'd like to be in the company of those who appreciate my instrument and my playing.
It's not like knitting. When you're done, you don't have a garment or an object. You're just done. Sometimes you feel great for a while, and it's nice to share that. Sometimes, like lastnight, you're just done, and you know where you have to work. But I'm not in a hurry. I'm a process musician. I'm usually a process knitter, too.
Next week skating starts up again, so I think I'll get the wool for my poncho project to work on in the rink while my daughter skates. It's the magic of making that keeps us in there.

No comments: