Sunday, June 18, 2006

A Secret Beginning




I'm so excited about this little secret. I have a blog. Like an amulet against my breast, my mind returns to it and I am bouyed up. I am not good at secrets. But I am encouraged by Grumperina. How can those who know her not know about her blog as do we who love her?
So this is my new game. I think the words "post published" really sent my heart racing. I have had a few poems published, but my novel is unfinished and the word Published is very enticing.
I listen to Mur Lafferty on "You Should Be Writing" podcast. But it's harder when I'm taking courses, because I know my writing time is spent doing reports.
This morning, after my husband opened his Fathers Day presents - Austin Powers videos- I let loose the Kiri shawl.
This really makes me happy. This is why I knit. The planning, the collecting of materials, the dreaming as I knit are all powerful to me. But the ocassional great success is magic.
Some might say that I am easily amused. But there is nothing simple about lace. Even Kiri, a simplified version of Birch, has a rhythm and intricacy that captures the creative part of your mind and settles it into a task that can gather other ideas, like a net. The softness of the Rowan Kid Silk Haze, and the gentle movement of the wooden circular needle entice you into quiet thought and slow breathing like an erstwhile meditation.
And then you run around with the finished product with your heart tripping and your breath escaping in laughs. This is worth my time and energy.
Not to mention it's a gift. I can hardly wait to see the face of my sister, who will wear the shawl when she speaks to large crowds of people. I will be at her side, through the shawl, as she was when I was very young.

1 comment:

JanuaryOne Cara said...

Welcome to blogland! You're going to have a blast!