Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I Should Be Writing


My course is over and I'm not signed up for next semester. That means I have an opportunity, if I take it to get my first draft finished. It has been too long since I made that as a goal. Knitting is more than a diversion. It has helped me to understand the long winter of the middle of a project. I feel that often with a big sweater, lace project or blanket. But I also know now that I have the capability to finish something. I trust myself.

I'm not the kind of knitter who has lots on the needles. I used to have one knitting and one stitching project at a time. Now I have one complicated and one simple- both knitting.

I stopped journalling when I threw out my old notes. I never intended to reread them and D was pushing to clean up. It was difficult. What is the purpose of writing down all my ideas, only to toss them?

I keep my poems.

I have hundreds of cards written up for my novel. Now is the time to make a big mess and get some chapters written. Only when I'm in the middle of it can I decide on the ending. Making this decision has paralyzed me. But I wouldn't choose an edging until I had most of the shawl in my hand. I may even need to block it.
Practice forgiveness. Get that monkey off your back.
Look at how adventurous I can get in knitting. Transfer the skill to the writing.
Mur Lafferty has a great podcast: I Should Be Writing at ishouldwrite.blogspot.com. I'm catching up on my listening and I find it so encouraging and realistic.
The baby blanket is doing great- starting my 4th of 5 balls tonight thanks to Six Feet Under. My scarf increased this weekend and I look forward to the first edge. Had a great time yesterday with my best friend as she is rediscovering her knitting self. We went to a wool shop two weeks ago and she already finished the shawl and baby hat and made a second shawl of stash. Now she's making her first socks. She called lastnight asking about the magic loop. No holding her back. I sent her the link to knitting help.com where there are good videos. I haven't tried it yet myself but the socks and yarn are top of the pile.
I also sent her the link to the counterpoint scarf from Magknits new issue. Our sons play piano duets together. I thought I'd do the DNA illusion scarf at the same time. Go Cascade 220.