Thursday, January 18, 2007

Insert Expletive


More snow. More shovelling and, oh joy, Skating Carnival.

This means I have not been walking, hardly knitting, and bruised on my butt.
Yesterday was a singularly horrible day. Did you know that if you don't use your sewing machine for over a year, that the symbols can lose their meaning? I totally forgot what to do for stretch sewing. Thank goodness the store I got it from (10 years ago?) is just around the corner and open at 0930h. The fabric the other Angie gave me for my Noodle-pie's costume is stretchy satin. Horrors. Worse yet- only one was stretchy. So I had to sew toward and away with the pink side up and blah blah. Grumpy. But not to be conquered.
When daughter got home from school (driven because of weather) and after skating lessons, I tried it on her and laughed. Thank goodness for my knitting experience. I pinned it and just cut away to make a shape. Imagine going off pattern! Actually I wasn't given a pattern. Now we have a gold and orange go-go dress.
On my way to post the sweater to nephew #1, I tripped and dropped a stack of library books in a slippery puddle. I just about cried and threw up and kicked the new car. But instead I laid them on the dining table (with the sewing) to smother them in towels. I think only one is truly ruined. Poor books.
Going to lunch was a high point. Though my dear friend has just lost one of her dear friends. So sad. We think we're too young.
I gave the zamboni guy his DNA illusion scarf and he was tickled. So I was tickled.
Unfortunately, my skater is in yet another number- line dance. "We" have to come up with a costume pronto. I talked to the two other moms who were available and we're going with jeans and a bandana. I'm going to make gingham peasant blouses (toward Daisy Duke) for each. They are simple to sew and more importantly, simple to fit. We have girl's size 8 to my daughter, ladies 14. Still, I think it could be cute.
I received the Mary Maxim pattern and yarn for the "Gift of Angels" blanket. This is knit for a friend to give her expectant daughter. They have been involved in Sunday school and camp for many years and know my kids well. The grandma-to-be refused knitting lessons. I refuse to be paid. I'm trying to think of a suitable barter. Too bad she doesn't cook. I have another friend who will sew for cabbage rolls.
The fun fur chemo caps are definitely cheering. I made one yesterday and one the day before.
The packing may do me in today. We fly our at 11 am tomorrow, but need to leave the house at 8 am.
If I don't post for a few days, please imagine that I am relaxed and happy exploring San Antonio.