Saturday, April 12, 2008

Knitting in the Wild

Li at "Life's a Stitch" wrote about wanting to see knitting on real people and babies. I agee that with all the Baby Surprise sweaters we've cranked out, we should have daily sitings. I all but ask for a picture of the child in a gifted sweater now and have a little album.
But years ago, when my daughter was about 5 or 6, we were at a little piano recital (totally wonderful Music For Young Children program) and another student had invited friends. I was totally distracted by their pretty baby girl (my own being school age). I looked at her sweater and at the mom.
"Have we met? I think I know that sweater." I asked.
It turns out they are friends of friends - this is a small town- and they had received the pink lace sweater as a hand-me-down from the sister of one of my friends.
I knit that sweater with pink wool, flecked with candy colours. The pattern was from a book I bought in Australia. I was so excited, made a new friend and got to hold a baby. Bonus.