Thursday, September 04, 2008

Hope and Despair

I planted a tree this week. It's a sign of hope. I hope I can get some shade on my deck so I can sit out on it in the summer. It is an Acer Suminagashi, also known as a Japanese maple. It is green in the spring and summer and red in the fall. D drilled some holes in the wheely base to aid drainage.
I planted Kinnikinnick (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) at his toes to help keep water in the pot. It's a groundcover that does really well here. There's even one called Vancouver Gold. But I told Stephan at Minter Country Gardens that I don't really like gold or orange or yellow in my garden. He's a big, young, Dutch guy, and he didn't even flinch at my silly decorating ideas. He just said I had to look in the other area for a red maple. He was great. My mom is a landscape designer and when I asked her what tree I should plant in my big pot on my sunny deck, she said Japanese maple, which is what I wanted anyway.
I always choose hardiness over fancy hybridization. My garden does pretty good without too much intervention. Plus I like it too look a little wilder, not too pruned or tortured. The lady two doors up has had her garden in a magazine. I'd like to see the pictures. I've all but lost my zeal for gardening. I just want to spend time in it reading and knitting, and , if I have to, studying.

Ever notice that "hope" in French is "d'espere"? So close.
The despair is the radical overhaul of CBC Radio 2. Perhaps it is just the rejection of change, or the need for the new people to have time to find their stride. But I am most unhappy to lose my classical music. I really enjoyed the programming, especially as I sat at this desk studying since January. I have found a CBC Classical station on itunes radio. I can also listen to BBC 3 through the internet. It was good company and a good program while it lasted.

1 comment:

Nancy McCarroll said...

Thanks for the note about BBC 3 through the internet. I'm checking it out now.