Friday, October 24, 2008

Idle Hands

Idle hands are the devil's workshop. That's what I read today in the Yarn Harlot's book. Did it ever bring back memories. Not all good. I used to go with my sister to visit our Grandfather at the church camp where he preached. Nanoose Bay Nanaimo. He was all fire and brimstone. And Grandma D was harsh. She tried to teach me to knit several times because I begged, but, being a lefty, it was a steep learning curve. We were her cross to bear. Noisy, active little girls who couldn't nap in the day so they could stay up all night for the tabernacle.
In contrast, my Grandma Friesen is shy and quiet and hard working. 12 dozen buns every Saturday and cinnamon buns for her seven sons. I spent so many hours in her kitchen, helping her cook, or sitting next to the furnace while the uncles joked. I practiced on her piano afterschool. My dad and my son are quiet like her.
Well, she's in a home. I made D's grandma an afghan last year. Why not one for my sweet G'ma. She's also in an apartment in a multi-level care housing complex. It's not in our town (long story) so I don't see her much. I bought this soft blue acrylic (hospital friendly) and I think I'll make another pi shawl. I need a travel project and I would love to give her a hug.



This is my classroom. There are 10 beds and 10 dummies with interchangable genitalia. We practiced tracheostomy care on this poor guy today.


Happy skeleton helps us with chest assessment. Don't worry he's plastic. Behind him is the chart of our Nursing Scope of Practice. A huge document that has changed our approach. Our poor young instructor has made the mistake of referring to "the olden days" (when we were practicing). We really tease her about that. "What would Laura Ingalls Wilder do?"


And freaky "granny passedaway" keeps us on our toes. She is so ready for Hallowe'en. It was a good class but I'm exhausted. D's on call, so I have a bit more schedule freedom this weekend. I stayed up a bit later last night and got a good lot done on the black diamond. Hope to knit a bit and sit. I'm mostly over my cold, but time seems to have slipped away while I was down.

No comments: