Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Two Bags Full

Mom sent me a picture of my Print O the Waves shawl I made for my sister Pat's 50th birthday last October. Pat entered it in the Saltspring Island fair and, yes, that is my (my, my) blue ribbon.
To celebrate, I knocked myself out with recycling. Actually: Mom wanted to borrow some books and I couldn't find a nice bag to put them in. When I went to look, I realized to my horror that, eventhough we don't use plastic bags much anymore, they are still freely breeding in the basement. I took them all out and sorted them by store (putting the extra ones in the middle where they may be hidden) and drove them to the groceries stores from whence they came. Whew.


I forgot to show you that Canada Post does in fact work. Tired Mom from New Westminster (just the other side of the Fraser River) had this yarn on Ravelry and I took my first chance at the private sale. Very satisfied. I hope to get a better gauge for Bristow. 2 bags full!

My blogging and reading of blogs has been curtailed by such overlooked housekeeping. Plus I'm setting up some schemes for my Sunday School. What do you think about this:
When parliament was considering to stop making the penny, I was worried about the loss. The only real value is what we place on it. I have some pretty small kiddies in my class, and I thought that, like pennies, they were worth a lot, even if small. So we've coloured a lot of papers to cover coffee cans and every family can take a can home to practice the act of "gratitude for small blessings". Sure we'd love all the money to send to Heifer International at Christmas. But the real purpose is practice a daily act of gratitude. The penny is the tool. What small blessings do you have in your life? What have you overlooked? What is that blessing worth to you? Perhaps a moment to say thanks.

2 comments:

LNS said...

Wow! Congratulations on your Blue Ribbon award winning shawl! I've found that my blog tends to collect the highs and lows of the week, so the roller-coaster isn't so pronounced in real life. My brother grew up with the HP books at bed-time too, but he lost interest(!) during the 5th book. Luckily I found friends in college who are just as enthusiastic as I am. "Enthusiastic" and "crazy" are interchangeable. (I haven't told them about the yarn though, because I am the only one who knits and they may be getting some surprises for various upcoming holidays.)

Life's a Stitch said...

Wonderful Thanksgiving activity.

Congratulations on YOUR ribbon ;-)