Monday, October 20, 2008

Slow Food

I'm part of the "Slow Food" movement. I got the craziest look at a party a while ago. But my kids have been trained to answer to "What is the secret ingredient?"... "Time" they say with their eyes rolling. But I'm serious. There is no substitute for a good long cook on the stove or in the oven. On Wednesday I was home last week (the other days were in the lab), so I made supper and I also cooked down some onions for French Onion Soup. This is a real favourite in our house. It doesn't take a lot of work, but it takes about 3 or 4 hours for those 6 giant walla walla sweet onions to cook down to carmelized.
Yum. A bit of olive oil and a bit of butter. The trick is to have really good broth. If you can't make it, I've been enjoying Campbell's organic chicken lately. And I like to use "Herbes de Provence". I forgot to put red wine in this time. Of course the fresh baguette is a must. It was a nice treat to come home to D heating it up and getting the dinner ready.
October's square was also from Alice Starmore's Inishmore. I loved this one. I set it up for the carpool commute and finished it Saturday night. Just as well because I'm a bit stuffed up and stupid now.
Miss February had her debut at a birthday lunch and was very comfortable. It's a big deal for me to have a sweater that fits. At first I had the wrong buttons! They were too small. So back to the fabric store for more. It just takes time. The sewing is quick. I even had to give the website to the check out girl at Safeway and there are few things more satisfying than that.
The new buttons had been my second choice, and next time, at 60% off, I'll just buy both sets and save myself a trip.
On Friday night D took our kids and youthgroup to the corn maze. Unfortunately God decided to rain down on them heavily. They were exhausted. And I had to be a nice spouse and drive Emily to her thing early Saturday morning. I didn't feel guilty sitting at home with my knitting and a Cranford DVD. We love Elizabeth Gaskell.
While in the city of Abbotsford (30 minutes west) I decided to poke around at a few shops. Michael's had Paton's Classic Merino on for $5 a ball, so I got enough for a nephew sweater in sweatshirt grey. That's all I've seen nephew six wear. I also bought some tulle for a tutu Christmas present a la "the Blue Blog". I'm sending it to a girlie girl cousin in California.
At Rietman's I found a few t-shirts to replace my plethora of turtlenecks because there's no way that I can manage with a covered neck when the thermostat starts fritzing. I know when this started. I think I'm going to invest a year or so before I see the doctor because I don't want to take hormones. Like I told him, "I didn't take anything for puberty." I just bought plain brown and black and grey. I tend to brighten up my wardrobe with scarves and jewellery. I'll bet you do too.
On the plus side, lighter sweaters also look better on big girls, according to Amy Singer.

No comments: